“Business Model Innovation” takes a practical approach to understanding, designing, and testing business models. It includes analyzing existing business models, developing a business model for a new startup venture, and testing business model building blocks. The course offers you the opportunity to develop a unique skill set that has helped many leading entrepreneurs and enterprises. Business model innovation is at the center of value creation and many leading companies and social ventures owe much of their success to business model innovation.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completing the course, students should be able to:
- Explain the importance of business models to value creation and new venture success in today’s economy
- Describe, compare, and critically examine different business model frameworks
- Analyze and critically evaluate business models used by actual ventures
- Construct and present a business model for an innovative and viable new venture
- Design and conduct tests for different business model building blocks, iterating based on market feedback and test results
This Business Model Innovation course covers:
- Business model history and significance
- Business model canvas development and refinement
- Customer development process
- Lean startup methodology
- Financial drivers of business models
Teaching and learning activities
The course will mix and match lectures with debates, discussions and learning activities by the students as well as leaders in the field.
Grades and form of assessment
Students will be required to satisfactory complete all of the course assignments in order to receive a passing grade.
The student’s grade will depend on the following:
- Written and oral assignments (individual and group work)
- Contribution in class/ group activities
Attendance is mandatory.
The course language is English.
The course is offered within the framework of the Stockholm School of Entrepreneurship.
Responsible institution: Royal Institute of Technology (KTH).
Literature and teaching aids
Literature will be announced in connection to the start and communicated to enrolled students.